Sunday, February 20, 2011

Week 6

I can never figure out how to start these. I guess there's no correct MLA formatting for writing blog posts for classes, but I still feel floaty when I try to write something for a class. Anyways, I'm going to try and blitz my way through the Week 6 stuff for Weblogs and Wikis now. I still have a five page paper to write for another class tonight too, argh. I feel like I'm really falling behind in this class, but what can I do? I've already cut absolutely everything but eating and sleeping from my schedule to make room for schoolwork and I still barely have time, so...

Anyways. let's see...

I've read The Complete Guide to Wikis and most (I think it was 1-6, 8 and 9?) of Blogging. I've also read various things linked to and made in class, mostly on the wiki and the things the teacher points out in class, though I probably haven't been reading enough. I don't think I've posted comments on other student's blogs - I should look in to that. I made my page on the class wiki and that one page trying to collect a concise list of everyone else's student page, and tried to contribute in some way to the other pages students made for the project last week (or was it the week before?). I get the feeling this is supposed to be more specific, but I can't really remember specifics.

Now, I need to annotate the significant items. Um... so it looks like I'm either supposed to talk about the implications of social networking, or talk about what I've learned in class so far. I'll save the former for when I have to write a longer paper. I guess I've learned a bit about how to use a wiki? I spent a lot of time editing the TV Tropes pages before taking this class, so I already understood how to make pages and format and such, but I think I understand the underlying structure of wikis now a bit better.

Right, now I need to create some artifact summing this up and trying to project where I should go in this class from here. But what is there to express? I know what I'm going to do, I'm going to figure out the absolute bare minimum I need to pass and hope to God I have time for at least that. I guess I'll read this tools for reflection page and try making a mind map on Mindmiester. I'll edit this entry with a link once it's done.

EDIT: I went with bubbl instead because Mindmiester just screams "we will spam the hell out of you to make you buy the full version," but it seems bubbl is very unstable and will crash, taking your work with it, at a moment's notice =_= It probably subverts the point of the class, but I'll just recreate the simple mind map plan I made here.

Duncan's Master Plan

Step 1: Use time after class to study the workings of the various social networking tools (particularly social bookmarking and the peripheral tools like Prezi, as opposed to the core wikis, blogs, twitter, social bookmarking) until you have a firmer understanding of how to work with them.

Step 2: Use time after class to study what other students are writing in their blogs and as projects. Make at least an attempt at contributing or commenting more.

Step 3: Use the knowledge gained from Step 2, and your own research, to start exploring the theoretical implications of social networking (which will be really fun, hopefully).

Step 4: WORLD DOMINATION

Not terribly deep, but I feel more confident now.

No comments:

Post a Comment