Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Writing July 27

Again I find myself not sure what to write about. Let's check up on the Rosenkreuz family.

The tomb of Hecktor Rosenkreuz sits on the very edge of a cliff, in a great cavern buried in the bedrock beneath Seaview Estate. Water trickles down from a sinkhole to the east and flows in a tiny creek westward until it is sucked up by the gravelly ground. Over the aeons, this creek has widened a crack in the stone, leaving a huge underground valley a hundred feet wide and immensely tall and long. A ledge, sometimes natural sometimes carved, rings much of the cavern - by tradition, the scions and servants of the Rosenkreuz Family are entombed along the south side, in a cemetery lit by lanterns and torches of a cool blue. Headstones and mausoleums, cobblestone paths and wrought iron fences sprawl about in a manner that displays artistic brilliance but little overall logic, a trait that practically defines the family. The baroque lines of Hecktor's tomb are thought to be the most beautiful, and in the courtyard before it, centered by a dry fountain shaped like a skeletal angel, Mortimer Rosenkreuz kicks a ball around while his sister watches. The boy wears a fine outfit of purple velvet and green silk, in which he barely feels the cave's chill, and the stunted black tophat Nana says looks adorable on him.

Hmm...what am I writing? I'm not sure, though I like the imagery. I'm trying to figure out how to start writing whenever, so I think I'll stop here rather than go on. Hopefully I'll write more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment