Saturday, July 16, 2011

Black White's Expedition Log, Part 2

11:07pm July 15, AIF 103. This may be a short entry - I'm still getting the feel of the town. Wow, but it rained today! I had no idea it could rain this high up, when we're above a lot of the cloud layers. Is this an effect of the complicated supernal space distortion that keeps these island afloat? Either way, it's a good thing I brought my oilskin cloak and galoshes. Or, as they call them here in sorta-England, rubbers.

The town was so lovely in the rain...almost deserted, with those elegant lamp posts whose light played off the pouring rain and glistening cobblestones, it reminded me of a Monet piece. The clouds got so thick and close that I could look off into the distance and assume the rolling grey banks were mountains blurred by the storm, and that I was back groundside again. Then an airship would pass through the cloud, multicolored running lights casting off visible beams through the rain, and the whole illusion became quite surreal. I made my way to the top of the island and found that it was taken up not by a farm of some sort but by a public park, or perhaps you'd call it a nature reserve, as it was very heavily wooded. I guess the city must import all its food from the neighboring islands? I wanted to go in and have a look around but the big wrought-iron gates were closed with a sign that said the park was shut down due to severe weather. It looked so muddy as to be almost a swamp, and the wind was picking up... so I went back to the hotel and had a bowl of beef stroganoff to warm up.

Oh, and none of the others have arrived yet. Black White, signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment